This is an official version.
Copyright © 2018: Queens Printer,
Animal Reportable Diseases Regulations
(Filed May 2, 2012)
Under the authority of section 8 of the Animal Health and Protection Act, I make the following regulations.
Jerome P. Kennedy, Q.C.
1. These regulations may be cited as the Animal Reportable Diseases Regulations .
2. (1) In these regulations, a disease of an animal that may be considered infectious or contagious includes an organism that may cause or spread an infectious or contagious disease in an animal, an animal product, or a honeybee hive.
(2) An organism that may cause or spread an infectious or contagious disease may be found in or on
(a) an animal, animal product, animal by-product, waste material, bedding, food, water, drugs or other thing related to an animal;
(b) a honeybee hive;
(c) an enclosure of an animal;
(d) a premises where an animal is kept or maintained; or
(e) the natural environment of that animal.
3. (1) An owner, breeder, importer of, or dealer in an animal or a honeybee hive who suspects or notices that the animal or honeybee hive has or appears to have an infectious or contagious disease listed in the Schedule shall immediately report that disease to the Chief Veterinary Officer.
(2) A veterinarian who suspects or notices that an animal or a honeybee hive has or appears to have an infectious or contagious disease listed in the Schedule shall immediately report that disease to the Chief Veterinary Officer.
(3) Where an animal, honeybee hive, animal by-product, animal product, waste material, bedding, food, water, drugs, or other thing related to an animal, or a specimen of it, is examined in a laboratory and it has or appears to have an infectious or contagious disease listed in the Schedule, the manager of the laboratory shall immediately report that disease to the Chief Veterinary Officer.
These regulations come into force on May 2, 2012.
Infectious or Contagious Diseases
All diseases listed in the Schedule to the Reportable Diseases Regulations
, SOR/91-2, made under the Health of Animals Act
All diseases listed in Schedule VII (Immediately Notifiable Diseases) to the Health of Animals Regulations,
C.R.C., c. 296, made under the Health of Animals Act
3. One of the following organisms:
(a) Coxiella burnetii (Q Fever);
(b) Chlamydophila abortus (ovine chlamydiosis, enzootic abortion of ewes);
(c) Salmonella species;
(d) Paenibacillus larvae subsp. larvae (American foulbrood);
(f) Nosema apis (nosema);
(g) Acarapis woodi (honey bee tracheal mite);
(h) Francisella tularensis (tularaemia);
(i) influenza A virus;
(j) Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease);
Aleutian disease virus;
(greater wax moth);
(deer or black-legged tick);
(t) Leptospira interrogans ; and
(u) Listeria monocytogenes .