This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1996
Assistance Regulations (Amendment)
Under the authority of section 30 of the Social Assistance Act, the Lieutenant‑Governor in Council makes the following regulations.
1. S.8.1 Added
1. The Social Assistance Regulations are amended by adding the following immediately after section 8:
Maximum amount of paid home support
8.1 (1) In this section
(a) "emergency situation" means those circumstances where
(i) sufficient family support and intervention is not available,
(ii) a person is incapable of remaining in his or her current residence without paid home support, and
(iii) the costs associated with paid home support do not exceed those costs associated with other available residential options; and
(b) "paid home support" means social assistance which is granted under section 8.
(2) Notwithstanding section 8, an officer of the
department shall not grant paid home support after
(3) Subsection (2) shall not apply to a recipient
who was granted paid home support immediately before
(4) Notwithstanding section 8, the maximum monthly amount of paid home support which may be granted by an officer of the department to a recipient is $3,000.
(5) Subsection (4) shall not apply to a recipient
where the recipient's monthly amount of paid home support exceeded $3,000 immediately
(6) Paid home support shall be reduced by 10%, where
(a) the recipient is a
person to which paid home support was granted before
(b) the recipient receives a monthly amount of paid home support in excess of $500; and
(c) the recipient is not a person receiving 24 hours of paid home support daily.
(7) Whether or not a reduction is made under subsection (6), a recipient of paid home support in excess of $3,000 shall be reassessed, and the paid home support granted to that recipient shall be reduced where an officer of the department believes that the reduction in paid home support will not place that recipient at risk.
(8) A reduction in paid home support made under subsection (7) shall, where possible, reduce a recipient's monthly amount of paid home support to a maximum of $3,000.
(9) Notwithstanding subsection (6), where the minister believes that a reduction in paid home support would place a recipient at risk, the minister may exempt that recipient from the operation of subsection (6).
(10) Subsection (6) shall be considered to come
into force on
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer