This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1996
Regulations, 1993 (Amendment)
(Filed September 17, 1996)
Under the authority of section 14 of the Denturists Act, the Newfoundland Denturists Board makes the following regulations with the approval of the Minister of Health.
1. S.2 Amdt.
2. S.3 Amdt.
3. S.6 R&S
1. (1) Subparagraphs 2(c)(i) and (ii) of the Denturists Regulations, 1993 are repealed and the following substituted:
(i) who has received a 2 year diploma;
(ii) who has entered into an internship agreement; and
(2) Section 2 is further amended by striking out the period at the end of subparagraph (c)(ii), adding a semicolon and adding the following immediately after paragraph (c):
(d) "internship agreement" means an agreement between a supervising denturist and an apprentice in a form approved by the board;
(e) "one year apprenticeship" means a 12 month continuous period during which an apprentice and a supervising denturist fulfil the terms of an internship agreement;
(f) "supervising denturist" means a denturist licensed under these regulations who enters into an internship agreement with an apprentice;
(g) "2 year diploma" means a degree or diploma certifying successful completion of a course of studies in denture technology from a school of denturism recognized by the board which is ordinarily completed in 2 years, whether or not a particular graduate of that course of studies completed the course of studies in 2 years; and
(h) "3 year diploma" means a degree or diploma certifying successful completion of a course of studies in denture technology from a school of denturism recognized by the board which is ordinarily completed in 3 years, whether or not a particular graduate of that course of studies completed the course of studies in 3 years.
2. (1) Paragraph 3(1)(a) of the regulations is repealed.
(2) Subsection 3(2) of the regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
(2) The board shall issue a licence to practise as a denturist to a person who has complied with the requirements of subsection (1) and
(a) has received a 3 year diploma;
(b) has, immediately before the application for a licence,
(i) held a valid and subsisting licence to practise as a denturist in another jurisdiction,
(ii) been in continuous practice as a denturist in that other jurisdiction for one or more years, and
(iii) acquired those qualifications, skills and ability to practise denture technology which are, in the opinion of the board, equal to the qualifications, skills and abilities acquired by persons referred to in paragraphs (a) and (c); or
(c) has received a 2 year diploma, and completed a one year apprenticeship.
(2.1) A person who applies for a licence to practise as a denturist and has complied with paragraph (2)(c)
(a) may complete the written theory portion of the examination referred to in paragraph (1)(b) before beginning the one year apprenticeship, but subsequent to receiving a 2 year diploma;
(b) shall during the one year apprenticeship perform practical functions set out in guidelines established by the board;
(c) shall not perform intra‑oral procedures, except under the direct supervision and in the presence of the supervising denturist;
(d) shall complete the one year apprenticeship without interruption unless otherwise approved by the board.
(2.2) Where a person has successfully completed a one year apprenticeship, the supervising denturist shall complete and provide to the board a Certificate of Supervising Denturist.
(3) Subsection 3(3) of the regulations is amended by inserting immediately following the word "year" the comma and the words "providing the leave does not exceed a period of more than 3 continuous years".
3. Section 6 of the regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
6. A supervising denturist shall not enter into more than 2 concurrent internship agreements.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer