This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1997
Sanitation Regulations (Amendment)
(Filed May 15, 1997)
Under the authority of section 11 of the Public Health Act, I make the following regulations.
1. Paragraph 2(i) of the Sanitation Regulations is repealed.
2. Subsection 4(5) of the regulations is amended by deleting the word "applicant" and substituting the words "controlling agency".
3. Section 7 of the regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
7. (1) For the purposes of this section, "alternate sewage system" means any plumbed sewage system utilizing secondary or tertiary treatment processes or a system where effluent is discharged other than to a conventional disposal field, seepage pit or ocean pipeline.
(2) Alternate sewage systems may be approved, where, in the opinion of an inspector, a system as described in section 5 cannot be used or is not practical.
(3) An application for an alternate sewage system shall be accompanied by
(a) assessment data including water table monitoring, percolation test, soil profile and grain size analysis data; and
(b) design specifications and blueprints for the proposed alternate sewage system.
(4) Assessment data and design specifications under subsection (3) shall be compiled by a professional engineer or engineering firm.
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (2), the minister may issue a permit for an experimental or prototype sewage system.
(6) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a sewage discharge pipeline to the ocean is not permitted as an alternate sewage system except for septic tank effluent lines referred to in paragraph 5(8)(b).
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer