This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1998
Open Season Fall Big Game Black Bear Hunting and
(Filed December 31, 1997)
Under the authority of sections 38 and 114 of the Wild Life Regulations and the Wild Life Act, I make the following Order.
1. Short title
2. Fall open season
3. Devices permitted
4. Prohibited devices
5. Bag limits
6. Validity of licence
1. This Order may be cited as the Open Season Fall Big Game Black Bear Hunting
and Snaring Order,
Fall open season
2. (1) The fall open season for the
hunting and snaring of black bear shall be
Area No. Season Dates
1 No open season
2 August 30 -
5 August 30 -
6 August 30 -
23 September 13 -
28 September 13 -
29 September 13 -
30 September 13 -
31 No open season
32 No open season
33 No open season
34 No open season
35 No open season
36 No open season
38 No open season
43 No open season
44 No open season
45 No open season
47 No open Season
(2) The moose management areas referred to in subsection (1) are described in the Open Season Big Game Moose Hunting Order, Newfoundland, 1997-98 except that
(a) Moose Management Area 28 is further described, for black bear hunting only, to exclude
All that area
Then extending to a radius of 2 kilometres from that point in all directions, with an area of approximately 1,250 hectares and a perimeter of approximately 12,543 metres; and
(b) moose management sub-areas do not apply to black bear hunting.
(3) Hunting black bear by bow and arrow only shall be permitted in Moose Management Areas 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 37, 39, 40, 41, and 42 during the period August 30, 1997 to September 12, 1997.
3. Only Aldrich foot snares or similar devices may be set for the taking of black bears and those devices shall be set in a covered “cubby set” and clearly marked with a warning sign indicating that a bear snaring device is set in the “cubby”.
4. Steel-jaw leghold, spring or jump traps shall not be used to take black bears.
5. (1) The bag limit shall be 2 black bears of any age or sex.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), female black bears accompanied by cubs, may not be taken by shooting.
Validity of licence
6. Each fall season a black bear licence shall be valid only for the area for which it is issued.
7. A person shall not transport or possess firearms under the authority of a valid game licence without being in possession of an outdoor identification card, or non-resident equivalent card, issued to the person.
8. The Open Season, Fall, Big Game, Black Bear, Hunting and Snaring Order, Newfoundland, 1996, Newfoundland Regulation 94/96, is repealed.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer