This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
of Mines and Energy Notice, 2003
Under the authority of section 5 of the Executive Council Act, the Clerk of the Executive Council gives the following Notice.
1. Short title
3. Department restructured and reconstituted
4. Powers and duties of the minister
1. This Notice may be cited as the Department of Mines and Energy Notice, 2003.
2. In this Notice
(a) "department" means the Department of Mines and Energy; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Mines and Energy.
Department restructured and reconstituted
3. (1) The department is restructured and reconstituted by Order in Council 2002-320 and Order in Council 2003-376 and the department is presided over by the minister.
(2) The department consists of three branches, as follows:
(b) Energy; and
(c) Industrial Benefits.
Powers and duties of the minister
4. The powers, functions and duties of the minister include the supervision, control and direction of all matters relating to the promotion and exploration of mineral and energy resources and related industry development activities including
(a) mines, minerals, quarries, quarry materials and beaches;
(b) onshore and offshore petroleum;
(c) electrical power;
(d) overall responsibility for provincial energy supply and demand;
(e) the development, monitoring, supervision, assistance or other government intervention into any of the industries described in paragraphs (a) to (d);
(f) royalties and associated matters, within or outside the province;
(g) the identification, assessment and promotion of industrial benefits from major resource development projects; and
(h) the administration of the Acts set out in the Schedule and of all orders and regulations passed or made under those Acts, including those powers, functions or duties necessary or desirable for carrying out the purpose of those Acts,
which are not, or in so far as they are not, the responsibility of another minister, agency, body, corporation, board, organization or person.
5. The Department of Mines and Energy Notice, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 68/96, is repealed.
1. Canada-Newfoundland and
3. Electrical Power Control Act, 1994
4. Hydro Corporation Act
5. Lower Churchill Development Act
6. Mineral Act
7. Mineral Holdings Impost Act
8. Mining Act
9. Miscellaneous Financial Provisions Act, 1975
11. Petroleum and Natural Gas Act
12. Quarry Materials Act, 1998
13. Undeveloped Mineral Areas Act
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer