This is an official version.
Copyright © 2010: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Open Season Spring Big Game Black Bear Hunting
(Filed June 29, 2010)
Under the authority of sections 38 and 114 of the Wild Life Regulations and the Wild Life Act, I make the following Order.
Dated at St. John’s, June 23, 2010.
1. Short title
2. Spring open season
3. Devices permitted
4. Prohibited devices
5. Bag limits
6. Validity of licence
1. This Order may be cited as the Open Season Spring Big Game Black Bear Hunting and Snaring Order, Newfoundland, 2010.
Spring open season
2. (1) The spring open season for the hunting and snaring of black bear shall be May 8, 2010 to July 10, 2010 in all moose management areas except as follows:
(2) The moose management areas referred to in subsection (1) are described in the Open Season Big Game Moose Hunting Order, Newfoundland, 2009-2010 except that Moose Management Area 28 is further described, for black bear hunting only, to exclude:
All that area of the Island of Newfoundland located in the district of Terra Nova, commencing at a point in the centre of the land-fill site at the northwestern edge of Terra Nova National Park;
Then extending to a radius of 2 kilometres from that point in all directions, with an area of approximately 1,250 hectares and a perimeter of approximately 12,543 metres.
3. Only Aldrich foot snares or similar devices may be set for the taking of black bears and those devices shall be set in a covered "cubby set" and clearly marked with a warning sign indicating that a bear snaring device is set in the "cubby".
4. Steel-jaw leghold, spring or jump traps or neck snares shall not be used to take black bears.
5. (1) The bag limit shall be two black bears of any age or sex.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), female black bears accompanied by cubs may not be taken by shooting.
Validity of licence
6. Each spring season black bear licence shall be valid only for the area for which it is issued.
7. A person shall not transport or possess any firearms under the authority of a valid game licence without being in possession of an outdoor identification card, or non-resident equivalent card, issued to the person.
8 Hunting with a firearm on Sundays shall be permitted across the entire province, beginning October 4, 2009 and ending April 30, 2010 for the species and during the seasons as described in this Order.
9. The Open Season Spring Big Game Black Bear Hunting and Snaring Order, Newfoundland, 2008, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 94/07, is repealed.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer