This is an official version.
Copyright © 2014: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR
Administration of Drug Therapy by
Inhalation or Injection Regulations
(Filed October 28, 2014)
Under the authority of section 59 of the Pharmacy Act, 2012, the Newfoundland and Labrador Pharmacy Board, with the approval of the Minister of Health and Community Services, makes the following regulations.
Dated at St. John’s, October 28, 2014.
1. Short title
3. Authorization generally
6. Standards advisory committee
1. These regulations may be cited as the Administration of Drug Therapy by Inhalation or Injection Regulations.
2. A pharmacist shall not directly administer drug therapy by inhalation or injection to a person unless
(a) his or her registration includes an authorization granted under these regulations to do so;
(b) the requirements set out in the standards established by the board under section 5 are met; and
(i) the drug therapy does not require a prescription, or
(ii) where it does require a prescription, it has been prescribed by a person authorized to prescribe it.
3. The board shall add an authorization to administer drug therapy by inhalation or injection to the registration of a pharmacist where he or she
(a) applies in the form and manner prescribed by the board;
(b) provides proof satisfactory to the board that he or she has completed the educational and training requirements prescribed by the board;
(c) provides proof satisfactory to the board of current training in CPR and first aid; and
(d) pays the application fee.
4. A pharmacist's authorization added under these regulations expires on the same date as the pharmacist's registration.
5. (1) The board shall establish standards relating to the administration of drug therapy by a pharmacist by inhalation or injection.
(2) The board shall consider the recommendations of the standards advisory committee in establishing the standards under subsection (1).
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply where the standards to be established relate to the administration of influenza immunization.
Standards advisory committee
6. The board shall appoint a standards advisory committee which shall consist of
(a) a person nominated by the board;
(b) a person nominated by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland and Labrador;
(c) a person nominated by the Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador; and
(d) other members the board considers appropriate to appoint.