This is an official version.
Copyright ©2016: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Sector Compensation Transparency Regulations
(Filed December 19, 2016)
Under the authority of section 9 of the Public Sector Compensation Transparency Act, the Lieutenant-Governor in Council makes the following regulations.
Bernard M. Coffey, Q.C.
1. Short title
4. Designated public body
5. Disclosure of specific amounts
6. Amounts rounded
7. Time limits
8. Disclosure re: exemptions
1. These regulations may be cited as the Public Sector Compensation Transparency Regulations.
2. In these regulations
(a) "Act" means the Public Sector Compensation Transparency Act;
(b) "base salary" means the amount of compensation paid in a year to an employee for the performance of employment duties but does not include other compensation paid to the employee;
(c) "bonus" means an amount paid to an employee, in addition to his or her base salary, which is based on predetermined criteria;
(d) "overtime pay" means an amount paid to an employee, in addition to his or her base salary, for the performance of employment duties in excess of his or her regularly scheduled work hours;
(e) "retroactive salary" means the amount of compensation paid to an employee for adjustments to past salary;
(f) "severance pay" means an amount paid on retirement, resignation or termination to an employee as an accrued benefit calculated as a number of weeks salary based upon the employee's length of employment but does not include pay in lieu of notice on dismissal or position elimination;
(g) "shift premium" means an amount paid to an employee in addition to his or her base salary because his or her regular working hours are scheduled outside of normal operational hours or on weekends; and
(h) "other compensation" means compensation included in total compensation other than base salary, overtime pay, bonuses, shift premiums, retroactive salary and severance pay.
3. The threshold is $100,000.
Designated public body
4. An entity listed in the Schedule is designated as a public body for the purpose of the Act.
Disclosure of specific amounts
5. In addition to the total compensation disclosed under sections 3 and 4 of the Act, the amounts for the following categories of compensation shall be specifically disclosed:
(a) base salary;
(b) overtime pay;
(d) shift premium;
(e) retroactive salary;
(f) severance pay; and
(g) other compensation.
6. The amounts referred to in section 5 shall be rounded to the nearest multiple of one hundred dollars.
7. (1) The deputy minister of a department or chief executive officer of a public body shall provide written notice to all of the employees of the department or public body that the information in sections 3 and 4 of the Act will be disclosed 60 days from the date of the notice.
(2) An employee may file an application under subsection 7(1) of the Act within 14 days of his or her receipt of the written notice referred to in subsection (1).
(3) The deputy minister or chief executive officer shall provide his or her decision regarding the application within 14 days of receipt of the application.
(4) An employee who is dissatisfied with the decision of the deputy minister or chief executive officer may file an appeal under subsection 7(2) of the Act within 14 days of his or her receipt of the decision of the deputy minister or chief executive officer.
(5) The President of Treasury Board shall provide his or her decision regarding the appeal within 14 days of receipt of the appeal.
Disclosure re: exemptions
8. The following information shall be included in disclosure under section 9 of the Act:
(a) a statement that no information was exempted from disclosure under section 7 of the Act where no information was exempted from disclosure under section 7 of the Act;
(b) a statement that information regarding one employee was exempted from disclosure under section 7 of the Act where information regarding one employee was exempted from disclosure under section 7 of the Act; or
(c) a statement indicating the number of employees whose information was exempted from disclosure under section 7 of the Act and the aggregate total compensation exempted from disclosure.
Board of Commissioners of Public Utilities
Central Regional Health Authority
College of the
Eastern Regional Health Authority
Electoral Districts Boundaries Commission
Government Purchasing Agency
Human Rights Commission
Independent Appointments Commission
Labour Relations Board
Labrador-Grenfell Regional Health Authority
Marble Mountain Development Corporation
Mental Health Review Board
Multi-Materials Stewardship Board
Municipal Assessment Agency
Nalcor Energy and its subsidiaries
NL 911 Bureau Inc.
Provincial Advisory Council on the Status of Women
Provincial Information and Library Resources Board
Public Service Commission
Research & Development Corporation
Student Loan Corporation of
The Rooms Corporation
Western Regional Health Authority
Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Review Division