This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1991
AN ACT TO AMEND THE LAW SOCIETY ACT, 1977
(Assented to May 31, 1991)
1. S.8(4) Amdt.
2. S.33(3) & (4) R&S
3. S.38(3)(c) Amdt.
4. Ss. 39 & 42 Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Paragraph 8(4)(b) of The Law Society Act, 1977 is amended by striking out the words "for a period of twelve months or more".
2. Subsections 33(3) and (4) of the Act are repealed and the following substituted:
(3) A member may be suspended by the benchers, in accordance with the rules that the benchers may make if the member has not been actively engaged in the practice of law for a continuous period of 5 years or more and has not been a non-practising member through that period.
(4) A period during which a person is a member of either the Houses of Parliament, or of the House of Assembly, or the holder of an office under the Crown that the Lieutenant-Governor in Council may designate, shall not be counted for the purpose of subsection (3) as time during which that person has not been actively engaged in the practice of law.
3. Paragraph 38(3)(c) of the Act is amended by striking out the words "unless he is domiciled in a province,".
4. Paragraphs 39(1)(a), (2)(a), (3)(a) and (5)(a) and paragraph 42(1)(a) of the Act are repealed and the following substituted in each provision:
(a) he or she is a resident of Canada;
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer