This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1991
AN ACT TO AMEND THE QUEEN'S COUNSEL ACT
(Assented to December 11, 1991)
1. S.3 Rep.
2. S.6 Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Section 3 of The Queen's Counsel Act is repealed.
2. Subsection 6(1) of the Act is amended by striking out the words "consisting of five members,".
(2) Subsections 6(2), (3), (4), (5) and (6) are repealed and the following substituted:
(2) The Minister of Justice shall appoint to the Legal Appointments Board 5 members of which 2 members shall be chosen by the minister from a list of 7 members of the Law Society of Newfoundland to be submitted by the Benchers of the Law Society of Newfoundland at the request of the minister.
(3) The Minister of Justice shall, so far as practicable, ensure that among the persons appointed to the Legal Appointments Board, 1 will be a member of the Law Society of Newfoundland in practice and resident outside the metropolitan area of St. John's, 1 will be a Bencher of the Law Society of Newfoundland and 1 will be a member of that society who has been practising in the province for less than 10 years.
(4) The minister of Justice shall designate 1 of the members of the Legal Appointments Board to be the chairperson of the board.
(5) A vacancy in the membership of the Legal Appointments Board does not invalidate the constitution of that board or impair the right of the remaining members to act so long as the membership of the board does not fall below 3.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer