This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1993
AN ACT TO AMEND THE TEACHERS' PENSIONS ACT
(Assented to June 18, 1993)
1. S.13 Amdt.
2. S.19(2) Amdt.
3. S.21(3.1) Added
4. S.37(1) R&S
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Subsection 13(2) of the Teachers' Pensions Act is amended by
(a) striking out the word "or" at the end of paragraph (c);
(b) striking out the period at the end of paragraph (d) and substituting a semi-colon and the word "or"; and
(c) adding immediately after paragraph (d) the following:
(e) a period of absence due to a lawful strike or lock-out.
2. Subsection 19(2) of the Act is amended by adding immediately after the words and figure "who has retired under subsection (1)" the words and figure "or who is receiving a pension under subsection 21(3.1)".
3. Section 21 of the Act is amended by adding immediately after subsection (3) the following:
(3.1) A teacher who terminated his or her employment and elected to receive a deferred pension under subsection (1) and who, after his or her termination of employment, becomes incapacitated to the extent that the incapacity would, if he or she were employed as a teacher, cause retirement under section 19, shall receive a pension on that incapacity being medically certified to the minister as likely to be permanent.
4. Paragraph 37(1)(g) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(g) prescribing terms and conditions and the formula for calculating contribution rates for the purposes of sections 10 to 14;
5. This Act is considered to have come into force on January 1, 1991.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer