This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1996
AN ACT TO AMEND THE CITY OF MOUNT PEARL ACT
(Assented to December 19, 1996)
1. S.15 R&S
3. S.202 Amdt.
4. S.316 Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
RSN1990 cC-16 as amended
1. Section 15 of the City of Mount Pearl Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Term of office
15. The term of office of a councillor, whether elected or appointed,
(a) shall begin within 2 weeks of his or her election or appointment; and
(b) expires when the number of newly elected or appointed councillors sufficient to constitute a quorum are sworn or affirmed into office.
2. The Act is amended by adding the following immediately after section 179:
179.1 The city and the council are not liable for a nuisance.
3. Section 202 of the Act is amended by striking out the word "and" at the end of paragraph (d), by striking out the period at the end of paragraph (e) and substituting a semicolon and the word "and", and by adding the following immediately after paragraph (e):
(f) in respect to winter maintenance of roads and snow clearing, including regulations which
(i) prohibit or control parking during winter months,
(ii) prohibit or control the erection of structures which impede or hinder winter maintenance of roads and snow clearing, and
(iii) prohibit or control the deposits of snow on sidewalks and public roads.
4. Subsections 316(1) and (2) of the Act are repealed and the following substituted:
316. (1) A general election shall be held in 1997 and every 4 years after 1997.
(2) A general election under subsection (1) shall be held on the last Tuesday in September.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer