This is an official version.
Copyright © 2002: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2002
AN ACT TO AMEND THE FORESTRY ACT
(Assented to December 19, 2002)
1. S.13.1 Added
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. (1) The Forestry Act is amended by adding immediately after section 13 the following:
Expiry date of licences
13.1 (1) Notwithstanding they were issued under an authority other than this Act, and notwithstanding the expiry dates contained in them, the licences to cut timber held by Abitibi-Consolidated Company of Canada and registered in the volume and at the folio of the Registry of Crown Titles set out below shall expire on December 31, 2010:
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), the continuance of the timber licences referred to in that subsection is subject to the operation, during the period the licences remain in force, of at least 2 paper making machines by Abitibi-Consolidated Company of Canada at its paper mill at Grand Falls-Windsor.
(3) The Lieutenant-Governor in Council may review or revoke one or more of the licences referred to in subsection (1) in the event that Abitibi-Consolidated Company of Canada fails to maintain production, using both machines, during the period the licences are in force, at substantially the same levels for each machine as the average annual levels in the preceding 3 years.
(4) Commencing not less than 12 months before the expiry of the licences to cut timber referred to in subsection (1), the minister shall initiate and conduct a public consultation process with participants in the forest industry as well as interested individuals, groups and affected communities to explore and consider the full range of forest uses in relation to the areas covered by the licences.
(2) This Act is considered to have come into force on November 23, 2002.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer