This is an official version.
Copyright © 2016: Queen's Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2016
AN ACT TO AMEND
(Assented to June 7, 2016)
2. Sch. Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. (1) Section 210 of the Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding immediately after subsection (1) the following:
(1.1) Notwithstanding subsection (1), where subsection 110.1(4), 110.2(4) or 137(1) has been violated, the owner of the motor vehicle to which that violation applies may be held responsible for that violation and may incur a penalty that arises from that violation.
(2) Subsections 210(2) and (3) of the Act are repealed and the following substituted:
(2) The owner of a motor vehicle shall not be held responsible and shall not incur a penalty arising from a violation under this section where he or she can prove that at the time of the violation,
(a) the motor vehicle was in possession of some other person without the owner's consent; or
(b) he or she was the registered owner of the motor vehicle but he or she was not entitled to possession of the motor vehicle.
(2.1) The owner of a motor vehicle under subsection (1.1) shall not be held responsible and shall not incur a penalty arising from a violation where the driver of the motor vehicle has been held responsible and incurred a penalty for that violation.
(3) The owner of a motor vehicle who incurs a penalty under this section is not liable to imprisonment.
2. The Schedule to the Act is amended by deleting the row starting with a reference to subsection 137(1) and substituting the following:
3. This Act comes into force 60 days after the day on which it receives Royal Assent.