This is an official version.
Copyright © 2016: Queen's Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2016
AN ACT TO AMEND THE COLLEGE ACT, 1996
(Assented to June 7, 2016)
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Paragraph 2(a) of the College Act, 1996 is repealed and the following substituted:
(a) "applied degree" means a degree that may be granted by the college on the completion of a program of study that includes course work and work-related experience that are, as determined by the college, oriented to a field of practice;
(a.1) "board" means the board of governors established under section 9;
2. (1) Paragraph 15(1)(c) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(c) approve, authorize and provide programs which lead to a certificate, diploma or applied degree from the college;
(2) Paragraph 15(1)(g) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(g) grant certificates, diplomas and applied degrees;
(3) Section 15 of the Act is amended by adding immediately after subsection (2) the following:
(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (1)(c), the board shall obtain the written approval of the minister before approving an applied degree program to be provided in the province.
(4) The approval referred to in subsection (3) may include any conditions the minister considers necessary.
3. Paragraph 16(f) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(f) cooperate and enter into agreements with
(i) a government or its agencies,
(ii) a person who carries on a trade, business or commercial activity,
(iii) other educational institutions, or
(iv) a community group
for the establishment, maintenance, conduct and transfer of courses for credit and programs leading to certificates, diplomas, applied degrees and degrees;