This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Revised Statutes of Newfoundland 1990
AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE EXEMPTION OF BAIE VERTE MINES INC. FROM TAXES IMPOSED BY THE RETAIL SALES TAX ACT
1. This Act may be cited as the Baie Verte Mines Inc. Tax Exemption Act.
1984 c43 s1Back to Top
2. In this Act "company" means
(a) Baie Verte Mines Inc., its successors, assignees, sublessees and licensees involved in the conduct of mining operations in the Baie Verte area under a mining lease issued by the Crown in right of the province to the Baie Verte Mines Inc.; and
(b) the agents, contractors and subcontractors whether on a lump sum, fixed price or unit price basis or otherwise, of the companies or persons referred to in paragraph (a),
but shall not be extended to include another company or person.
1984 c43 s2Back to Top
3. (1) The company shall be exempted from all taxes imposed by the Retail Sales Tax Act, or an Act standing in place of that Act and similar taxes imposed either generally or specifically upon the purchase, consumption or use of machinery, equipment, structures, plant, materials, goods, articles, things and all other tangible personal property consumed or used in the installation, construction, establishment or expansion of
(a) works, buildings and facilities required for
(i) mines, mining operations, mineral exploration or prospecting,
(ii) the treatment or processing of ores or metals, or
(iii) the extraction or treatment of petroleum, natural gas and related hydro-carbons;
(b) houses or townsites;
(c) steam, hydro-electrical or other plants for developing power, or facilities required for transmitting power;
(d) water, sewage or lighting systems; or
(e) transportation, shipping or storage facilities,
or consumed or used in
(f) the equipping of transportation, shipping or storage facilities, if the consumption or use is reasonably required for or incidental to the conduct of mining operations in the Baie Verte area under a mining lease issued by the Crown to the Baie Verte Mines Inc.
(2) The exemption referred to in subsection (1) shall include the initial purchase by Baie Verte Mines Inc. of an item referred to in subsection (1) which was previously owned, leased or possessed by Advocate Mines Limited.
(3) The exemption referred to in subsection (1) shall not apply to
(a) a capital replacement made otherwise than in connection with expansion;
(b) spare parts, articles or materials required for renewals, replacements or repairs; or
(c) a tax imposed by the Gasoline Tax Act.
1984 c43 s3
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer