This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Revised Statutes of Newfoundland 1990
AN ACT RESPECTING THE GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES BOARD
1. This Act may be cited as the Geographical Names Board Act.
1974 No54 s1Back to Top
2. In this Act
(a) "board" means the Newfoundland Geographical Names Board; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Environment and Lands.
1974 No54 s2; 1979 c49 Sch A; 1988 c43 Sch BBack to Top
Composition of board
3. (1) The Newfoundland Geographical Names Board is continued.
(2) The board shall be composed of a secretary and 5 other members appointed by the minister.
(3) The minister shall appoint 1 member of the board as chairperson and 1 as vice-chairperson.
(4) The members of the board shall hold office during pleasure for a term of 3 years from January 1 following their appointment and may be reappointed.
(5) When a vacancy occurs the minister shall appoint a person to fill the vacancy for the balance of the unexpired term.
(6) The members of the board shall receive the remuneration and expenses that the Lieutenant-Governor in Council may determine.
1974 No54 s3Back to Top
Meetings of board
4. (1) The board shall meet at the times and places that the chairperson appoints and the chairperson shall appoint a time and place for a meeting on the request of 3 members.
(2) Three members constitute a quorum at a meeting of the board.
(3) The chairperson shall preside at meetings of the board.
(4) In the absence of the chairperson the vice-chairperson shall preside at meetings of the board.
(5) In the absence of the chairperson and the vice-chairperson from a meeting the members of the board present shall appoint a temporary chairperson to preside at that meeting.
(6) The secretary shall
(a) keep a record of all proceedings of the board;
(b) conduct the correspondence of the board;
(c) provide a copy of the minutes of each meeting of the board to each member and to the minister within 7 days after the adjournment of the meeting; and
(d) perform the other duties that the board may direct.
(7) In the absence of the secretary from a meeting the members of the board present shall appoint a temporary secretary for that meeting.
1974 No54 s4Back to Top
Powers of board
5. The board shall
(a) gather, collate and record information respecting names of places and geographical features in the province;
(b) consult with and advise government departments and agencies, municipalities and other bodies or persons concerned with the selection of place names or the renaming of places and features regarding the suitability and spelling of the names;
(c) consider and make recommendations respecting a proposed change in the name of a place or geographical feature already in use that may be considered or be represented to be inappropriate to the place or geographical feature to which it is applied;
(d) collaborate with the Canadian Permanent Committee on Geographical Names respecting the selection of new geographical names, the elimination of alternative or duplicated names, the correct or preferred spelling of established names and other matters that may be of concern to the board or the Canadian Permanent Committee on Geographical Names;
(e) hold public meetings or invite submissions to board meetings where dispute arises or may arise with respect to the naming or renaming of a place or geographical feature; and
(f) recommend to the minister for approval the names of places or geographical features.
1974 No54 s5Back to Top
Publication and use of approved name
6. (1) Subject to section 5 of the Municipalities Act, the minister may approve a name recommended by the board for a place or geographical feature and shall publish notice of the approved name in the Gazette.
(2) A name approved under subsection (1) shall be used by all government departments and agencies in the preparation of maps and other publications.
1974 No54 s6; 1982 c42 s1Back to Top
Board is final authority
7. The board is the final authority on the spelling and pronunciation of the names of places and geographical features in the province.
1974 No54 s7Back to Top
Final authority on names
8. An Act, regulation, order, contract, summons, information, writ or other document affecting legal rights shall not be considered to be invalid merely because of the use of a name of a place or geographical feature that has not been approved by the minister under section 6.
1974 No54 s8
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer